Sunday 20 January 2013

Body Art with Fuller's Earth, Mud and Leaves!

I wanted to write a post about some body art I did a few months ago during the peak of Autumn, that beautiful time of year when the leaves and the trees are most enchanting. I really wanted to incorporate nature and embrace Autumn as my theme for a body art especially since I could get all the materials I needed for free! So when the leaves started to fall in golds, reds and yellows, I was out there with my black bin bag like a crazy lady, scouring the parks and communal gardens of Manchester city centre and battling with numerous hedges on my quest for the best leaves and branches...  
This project was a great opportunity to get a bit messy and also to incorporate a new medium that I hadn't worked with before; Fuller's Earth. This looks like wet mud when you apply it on the skin but as it dries it cracks and leaves a really interesting texture. To make the paste you just need to mix 1 part of the earth (in powder form) with 1 part flour and then add water to the desired consistency. I experimented with adding colours to the mud (golds and bronzes) and also underneath the mud so that the colours show through when it begins to crack. And then the most fun part; applying powder pigments and glitter to the design. Make sure you cover the surrounding walls and floor as this can get messy!

This was a really nice change to make-up as you can incorporate literally anything into the design that inspires you, be it flowers, fruit or nature and the best part is that everthing you need is available for practically nothing!

Love
Ruby Who
X

No comments:

Post a Comment