Monday 18 February 2013

Avante Garde Hair and Make-Up Shoot, The Secret Garden

So as much as I love that feeling of completion when a project comes together exactly how you had been imagining,  I can't help but feel slightly at a loss when faced with the void that it leaves. So precisely after finishing my Sea Shell hat, I got that feeling that I can only imagine is like the feeling a parent has when their child flies the nest. So I'd say that's a mixture of joy... 'YES!! they're finally gone my work is done here, I'm off down the pub to consume my body weight in wine!!' (my nearest and dearest can verify this behaviour no doubt)... coupled with a hint of dismay, what should I do now to occupy my time productively??

The only answer to this predicament is to channel your creative energy into a new project, and for me that was a new Avante Garde Hair project; an opportunity to creative something wildly over the top and unnecessary- yippee!

So I took my inspiration for this project from The Secret Garden; a fantastical, enchanted woodland with a mystical and eerie charm which has a dreamlike state. I really wanted to show the paradox between a bleak and somewhat spooky landscape with the beauty of life and nature that my model and the birds brought to the picture.





As my first hair piece, I am really pleased with the outcome. There isn't a lot of guidance out there on how to create Avante Garde Hair, you pretty much just have to just let yourself go wild and see what happens. Incorporate absolutely anything into the design and take your inspiration from anywhere! That was precisely my problem with this project; the scope of what you can do left me feeling somewhat overwhelmed and wanting to implement every idea I had into one design. I had to remind myself of the theme and the look that I could visualize in my mind. Though, in true Becky Hanks style, I once again went over the top on the photographic styling and brought a birdcage along...as you do! Not everything on the shoot worked so you might need some vision for the bird cage photos which are to follow!! All in all though, I'm really happy with the photos (besides a couple of drunk birds looking like they might fall from their perch!) A big thank you to my Photographer George Burgess who captured the images, as well as this rather fetching one of me looking like a boy! Please remind me to make more of an effort on my personal appearance for future photo shoots :)


Love Ruby Who
X

No comments:

Post a Comment